[DIYbio] Re: I want to test my own food - where do I start

I'm rather curious as to how one would go about testing for whether or not random genes were manually tweaked (and not naturally mutated/introduced through bacterial/viral horizontal gene transfer) in the first place. Besides, you realize all human-grown crops have been manipulated from the natural state through centuries of inbreeding, yes? If anything, new GMO methods are less damaging to the genome.

On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 7:38:41 AM UTC-5, Philippo Möller wrote:
Hello

I live in a third world country and it seems like there is no bio hack community here. I am concerned about food and drinks I am buying and consuming here on a daily basis. I do not trust the food safety authorities here. For example, there are rumors here that diary products in the stores are not made from milk but from palm oil. I would like to test such things myself. Furthermore, I am conscious about excessive use of antibiotics in meat and vegetable production. Is it possible to test such things myself?  What about pesticides? What about other poisons and pollutants that might end up in food products?

Basically I would like to test all of my food before I consume it. I am willing to invest time in studying the subject and I am also happy to build a little home lab. I'm also planning to publish my findings for other people in my country to read.

So where do I start? Are there any good websites? When I google "food testing at home" all I get are pages for food intolerant people. I am looking for a website with instructions on how to perform tests and what equipment I will need to buy for my lab.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I am sure this question has been answered somewhere already but I couldn't find it.





--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diybio@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to diybio@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/dc8856d5-534a-468e-b775-82ddb016aeb5%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment