[DIYbio] Re: UV LED for disinfection of water

Hi Patrik,

I tried to know the prices in these 2 companies but until now I have had no answer.

As a cheaper alternative, I'm thinking about using the mercury vapor lamp that are used inside the bulbs used in street lighting.

As described at:
http://www.pcbheaven.com/projectpages/Hack_Hg_Lamp_to_UV_Light_/

But I think I'll have to use some system to cool the lamp which, depending on the power, dissipate too much heat.

My idea is to keep that lamp, in horizontal position, above a water reservoir with a small depth to allow UV penetration to the bottom of the reservoir.

That way I would not need to use a quartz tube to insulate the bulb from the water.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Markos


Em 25-11-2016 06:22, Patrik D'haeseleer escreveu:
Seems legit. Do keep in mind that you need very short-wave UV C light to kill bacteria, and LEDs get exorbitantly expensive in those wavelengths. These are definitely not your typical 10 cent near-UV LEDs. These could easily cost a couple hundred dollars per LED.

Patrik


On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 6:15:38 AM UTC-8, Markos wrote:
Does anyone have experience with commercial products that uses UV LED
for disinfection of water for human consumption?

I found these products but I have no references about efficiency:

http://www.s-et.com/water-disinfection.pdf

http://www.aquisense.com/water-treatment

Any tip?

Thanks,
Markos

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment