[DIYbio] Re: Making Money Out of a Home Bio Lab?

Hey there! I'm a new york times reporter writing about teens who are jumping into the DIY Bio movement. If you'd be willing to chat, please let me know! Thanks!

On Monday, October 2, 2017 at 9:24:32 PM UTC-4, InstantLife wrote:

Hi there, I am InstantLife

I have been doing amateur DIYBio for the past few years and I recently decided that my bedroom was just not sufficient for a functioning lab space. So I bought a 10x5 grow tent some cheap shelving units and a metal table along with the parts to make a bigger and better tabletop laminar flow box. I love the space and I am spending every day in there doing whatever I can to further my experiments. All my projects are going way smoother.

The problem here is I am 17 without a drivers license, working car, or job. I am running out of my savings and I want to be able to make my lab even better. I don't have any connections in Vermont and no luck getting donations or free used equipment locally. I sank $1500 into my lab and I was wondering if there was a way to make up for that? Especially so I can buy/build things like a PCR machine or Electroporator

All I can think is use extra space to grow micro greens or gourmet mushrooms and try to sell them to local restaurants.

Anyone else had any luck with turning a small profit from a home lab?

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diybio@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to diybio@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/1fbc07cc-fbd2-48f1-998e-9b5bf133974c%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment